Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Kaleidoscope Fantasy


Jasc Paint Shop Pro manipulated picture. (kaleidoscope tool)
(Click picture for larger image)
Posted by Picasa
I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope. Which is what I do, and that enables you to laugh at life's realities.
~ Dr. Theodore Geisel, a.k.a. Dr. Seuss
I love kaleidoscopes of all kinds; the common cardboard tubes that are found in dime stores and souvenir shops; the antique brass and glass scopes with the vibrant colors and shapes that change with each twist of the wrist; and the newer versions with sealed plastic tubes filled with glittering metallic moons, stars and diamonds that form infinite variations of color and shapes as they float slowly past the viewing port in their clear but viscous fluid. I could spend hours watching the patterns, the colors, the changes in shading as the sun meanders in front of or behind the clouds in the sky. To me the kaleidoscope is one of the purest forms of fantasy.

This is a real picture taken with my old Nikon CoolPix 995 and then manipulated with the "kaleidoscope" tool in Jasc Paint Shop Pro. I was just playing around and on a whim, tried it. Whoa! Needless to say, I have tried it on other pictures as well and love the results. I may make a collage of them someday.

But back to the picture. Can you guess what or who the original subject was?







It's Nicholas, my Ragdoll cat with the gorgeous "eyeliner-rimmed" eyes and this is the picture I manipulated.

Submission for Lens Day topic "fantasy".

No comments: