Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Pinwheel Colors


Colorful plastic pinwheel. Posted by Picasa
The Windmills of Your Mind
Like a circle in a spiral
Like a wheel within a wheel
Never ending or beginning
On an ever-spinning reel
As the images unwind
Like the circles that you find
In the windmills of your mind
~ Noel Harrison
Plastic pinwheels. Large ones; small ones; patriotic red, white and blue flag ones; multicolored ones; even flower shaped ones all whirling with the wind, round and round; the stronger the breeze the faster they spin, blurring the points and mixing the colors. Every time I see one in someone's yard or garden or see a child running in a park, hand held up, sparkling pinwheel making that fluttering sound as it spins, I think of this song. It was one of my favorites as a teenager, almost a teenage angst song; the melody itself had a spinning, circling quality and you could feel the building crescendo to the haunting words (that I changed to fit my situation):
When you knew that it was over
In the Autumn of good-byes
In an instant you could not recall
The color of his eyes.
I really don't recall the color of his eyes, but I remember the fun, the tears, the joy and the pain of first love; or did I imagine it? No, it was real.
Memory is so much a part of imagination, so plastic, so wonderfully plastic.
~ Tracy Kidder
Submission for Lens Day topic "plastic". (end of post)

No comments: