Monday, March 13, 2006

Missing Meters


Oh where, oh where, did the meter go?
Oh where, oh where could it be?
(Click picture for larger view)
Posted by Picasa
"Nothing is really lost. It's just where it doesn't belong." ~ Suzanne Mueller
"Inanimate objects are classed scientifically into three major categories: those that don't work, those that break down and those that don't get lost." ~ Russell Baker (American journalist, winner of Pulitzer in 1982)
In summer the parking meters line the streets of the beach; ten minutes for a nickel. What a pain, the maximum time is an hour and a half; but the spaces are always full after 9 AM. I drove to the beach at Christmas on a cold day. The wind always blows in from the ocean and the salt mist makes the day seem colder. Imagine my surprise to see these along the street. I knew they didn't charge for parking during the winter months; but I didn't know the meter was lost...actually ALL the meters were lost, gone, nada, narry a one. I suppose it is the smart thing to do, take them up and store them for the winter. It might cut down on meter theft, but then I would have never known you could take these things apart! What would keep people from "losing" them in the summer as well? Well, at least there was an explanation and not just me "losing" my mind.

Submission (lame, yes I know) for Moody Monday topic "lost". (end of post)

No comments: