Friday, October 21, 2005

Patsy Joan: 1940


My mother's doll. (Click picture for larger view) Posted by Picasa
"Nothing that grieves us can be called little: by the eternal laws of proportion a child's loss of a doll and a king's loss of a crown are events of the same size." ~ Mark Twain (1835-1910)
This Patsy Joan doll was popular in the 1940's with interchangeable outfits and her own newsletter. She belongs to my mom and was always her favorite doll. Her face has that shiny look of the early vinyl dolls.

I had a collection of Barbie dolls, probably six or seven. One of them was the original ponytailed, blonde originals with the dark blue eyeshadow, black and white stripe bathing suit and high heels. There were also the bubble haired dolls, one Ken, a couple of Skippers and a Pepper, the littlest sister. I didn't collect them, I played with them. While there were a few purchased outfits, most of the clothes were hand made by my grandmother. She bought some of the first Barbie patterns and literally hand stitched the dresses, suits, shirts and pants. My prized outfit was a white velvet bride's dress and a tulle netting veil. She made ken a matching black velveteen tuxedo and white shirt. In one of the "moves" after I had left home for college and marriage, the Barbie dolls and clothes were given away. It broke my heart even though I know the little girl who got them cherished them and needed them more than I did. Still, they were gone. Nyssa had to start her Barbie collection all over. Now, her dolls are safely packed away with love, waiting for her little girl. (Someday, a long, long time from now.)

Entry for Photo Friday topic "retro". (end of post)

No comments: