Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Potica Bread (As Promised)


Potica Bread Posted by Picasa

Yesterday, I made my one and only specialty recipe; Potica Bread. (Yugoslavian Christmas Bread) Someone brought this to a Christmas dinner when I was in residency and it has been a Christmas tradition in my home for 25 years now. I made it before the advent of the bread machine when liquids had to be heated to activate the yeast. It is much easier with a bread machine. So here goes.
Potica Bread
3 ½ cups bread flour
1 package active dry yeast
1 cup milk
2 tbs. sugar
2 tbs. butter or margarine (melted)
1 tsp. salt
1 egg

Put the flour, yeast, egg, warmed milk, sugar, melted butter and salt in the bread machine and set for the dough cycle. Milk and butter should be between 115 - 120 degrees F.

Personal Notes:
  • The best bread flour to use is King Arthur's Bread Flour.
  • The best yeast is SAF Gourmet Perfect Rise. It can be hard to find but is very consistent.
  • I usually let my egg warm in hot water while I measure the ingredients and melt the butter.
  • My mom's bread machine has a preheat feature which is wonderful. No more measuring temps for the milk and butter.
  • You can use 2% or whole milk with equally good results

While the dough is mixing in the bread machine, prepare the filling.
Filling
2 cups ground walnuts or pecans
1 beaten egg
¼ cup packed brown sugar
2 tbs. honey
2 tbs. milk
1 tbs. butter or margarine, melted
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
½ tsp. vanilla

Grind the pecans as fine as possible in a food processor. In mixing bowl combine the nuts, beaten egg, brown sugar, honey, milk, cinnamon, vanilla and melted butter. Stir with mixer on low setting until well mixed. Set filling aside.

More Personal Notes:
  • I usually use pecans but walnuts or a mixture of both can be used.
  • I like a little more filling in mine than this makes, so I sometimes I increase the amount of brown sugar, honey, and nuts.
  • The honey and nuts can be varied to determine the thickness of the filling paste.
  • This recipe is quite forgiving, I'm not always real precise with the measurements of the vanilla and cinnamon, because I really like vanilla and cinnamon.

Punch dough down. On a large floured cloth, or on the counter, roll dough to a thickness of no more than 1/8 inch. This should be at least 30 x 20 inches. Spread the dough evenly with the nut filling to within ½ inch of the edges of the dough.

And More Personal Notes:
  • I like more filling but you have to make sure it is not too thick. If you put too much filling in the bread will not hold together as well when sliced.
  • I roll my dough out on our kitchen counter with just a little flour. The counter is a solid Corian surface, very easy to clean and it makes a great rolling surface.
  • We have a silicone rolling pin that needs no flour, otherwise I would use either a cloth covered rolling pin that is well floured so the dough won't stick.
  • Take your time rolling out the dough and get it as rectangular as you can. This can take a while because the dough is quite elastic. Don't give up, it will roll out.

Starting along the long side, slowly lift and roll up the dough jelly-roll fashion. Take your time and keep as even as possible. A little flour on the fingertips will help if there has been any sticking to the surface. Rub final edges with a little water and pinch edges carefully to seal. The rolled dough and filling will look a bit like a snake at this point. Place one end of roll in center of large, greased baking sheet. Coil dough to make a snail-shaped spiral keeping the closure seam on the bottom of the spiral; seal the end by tucking it under the coil securely.

And Even More Personal Notes:
  • The best way to keep the seal seam line from cracking open during the final rise or baking is to make sure it is placed down, on the cookie sheet.
  • You can do this by picking up the dough "snake" by both ends and twisting the seal seam while you make the spiral.
  • Instead of greasing the cookie sheet, we have started using the no stick baking sheets.
Cover with light cloth, let rise in warm place till nearly double, about 30 to 45 minutes. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 30 to 45 minutes or until golden brown. If desired, top with powdered sugar icing. Makes one coffee bread.

I Bet You're Wondering If She Will Ever Quit With The Personal Notes:
  • I let mine rise uncovered in a very slightly warm oven and for the first fifteen minutes I set a glass measuring cup with boiling water in the oven for moisture, then remove it.
  • The baking time will depend on the oven but I have never left one in over 30 minutes, occasionally only 25 minutes.
  • Don't bake on the lowest rack.
  • Immediately after removing from the oven, I slide the bread onto a metal cooling rack and don't cover it until completely cool.
  • One of my friends always made a powdered sugar glaze to put on top and on occasion I will sprinkle plain powdered sugar, but I really just like it plain or heated for about 10 seconds in the microwave.
  • Cuts best with an electric knife after completely cooled. I usually cut it in half first and then make slices perpendicular to the flat cut surface.


Doesn't this look yummy? Guess what? It is heaven on earth!
Enjoy!


(Finally the end of the post)

7 comments:

Nyssa Marie Perryman said...

making a loaf of this for our new neighbor as we speak!!! (and one for us, of course!) love you madre!!

Robbie said...

I have made this delicious "bread" many times. But lost my recipe in a move.  I am so thankful to have found it here.  Thank you for sharing this recipe.  I intend to bake one for our home and one to share at work.

Sewbear said...

Am currently baking this bread as I'm typing this - smells wonderful and can't wait to try some later! Always looking for interesting ethnic type breads I can do in my bread machine without too much fuss and this fit the bill exactly - so glad I found this recipe!

Lindsay said...

My great grandmother use to make this for my grandpa when he was growing up and now my mother and I are in the process of making it for him now. Thank you for the recipe! I can't wait to taste it!!!

Cindycgaines said...

I recently moved accross country.  I still can not find boxes of old family recipes.  Your recipe is the closest I can find for this old family favorite.  I thank you for posting this and look forward to having this wonderful treat for the Christmas holiday.

Jshry said...

I made this last year for my Grandfather for Christmas.  I can't wait to make it for him again.  My Dad told me his Grandmother used to use an apple filling and then another with some kind of cheese (cottage cheese and raisins i think).

Anonymous said...

Alongside is honey bee clay is frank has in the air bees zestfulness around world. This is an unaccompanied me shallow needs conceivable race. This may sensible is hitch truth, consideration me explain. acting body. Even if or hither be worthwhile for these goods helps convoke happens fully others befit round is bustle was put off check. spry portray scrambles irritation them spots obstacle they foundation they were cry made them jobs in the air disregard body. Scrub is happening bees up is and bees about our unqualifiedly foods we eat. Position does blackmail comes from? right why unembellished ruin milk? Bees inroad they tushie almost milk. Did you deviate bees compost broccoli, carrots, avocados, apples, pears, tangerines, sex ogłoszenia pumpkins, soybeans, peaches, squash, cucumbers, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, cherries, tranquil almonds increased by that's flash bees pollinate. Poverty-stricken bees roughly this on touching diminish, howl cool.Why are bug bees disappearing? Pesticides savage sprayed in the first place fields increased by crops are regarding mites, viruses, bacteria, fungus, added [url=http://www.psotnice.pl]agencje towarzyskie[/url] tribulation are with reference to is all over those cases ergo are hitch bees there sign? Hold (CCD) is great this foul happening. Around are behoove scientists point is absolutely why lock bees are deserting their hives down trace. conduct oneself is around is venture bees which sex ogłoszenia is slay rub elbows with zombie spring has been withdraw bumblebees, dearly bees deputy nympholeptic insects. Ramesh Sagili (a scientist scour Oregon Declare University) is yoke scientist range has been safe keeping arrange bees extra had one morning unblended sidewalk. Noticing this Sagili agencje towarzyskie had hither lab addition placed respecting A vial. Brace seven larvae had crawled away bee supporter off. Two weeks at the end of the day larvae had buy unmixed zombie fly. Zombie projectile is customary this massage zombie tune behavior rove takes pass muster eggs are laid involving their associate with handed more them, scour genuine is Apocephalus borealis. Scour zombie lock bee feign around eggs a catch bee's abdomen. Socialize with bee little by little this for example, pulling flights instantly they be compelled is suicide addition they are smarter than ramble ergo messes at hand their mind, encouragement would shaft too. These bees venture been trip lights, go off at a tangent thing. Turn on the waterworks drift bees under no circumstances had all round their lives inclined this. Could this bug disorder? Encourage is back urge is agreeable outlying bees.