Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Stop! Thief!


Spread eagle squirrel on my window screen. (Click pictures for larger view.) Posted by Picasa
"A squirrel leaping from bough to bough, and making the wood but one wide tree for his pleasure, fills the eye not less than a lion, - is beautiful, self-sufficing, and stands then and there for nature. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882)
It's been warm here and I've left my window open a few nights for fresh air. I woke to a "scratching" sound and saw this squirrel plastered to my window screen. He was trying to walk down from the roof and get to the hanging bag of sunflower seeds in the bush. Vicki gifted me with this "bird" feeder and I've placed it inside the bush so the smaller birds could find it. A few have stopped by to snack, but now Mr. Squirrel has also found it. They are persistent. (Continued)


He grasps the limb with his back feet and the bag with his front and works the shelled seeds through the bag. This little thief is brazen. I was standing less than two feet away from him, even though I was looking through the glass and screen.


As I tapped on the window he stopped and looked right into my camera lens. Surely he will run away now! No. He simply twisted round on his branch and stared directly into my room. I thought he was going to try to come right on in!


When I tapped the window again, he scampered down the trunk of the bush and across the back yard. Max was oblivious to the whole thing. And where are those good for nothing cats when you need them? They could have at least jumped to the windowsill and 'clicked' at him; but they were no where to be found. He has been back; the seeds are slowly disappearing. Fat little thief!
(end of post)

No comments: