Wednesday, July 05, 2006

A Perfect Ending...


...to a perfect day, fireworks!! (Click picture for larger view) Posted by Picasa
Good Night
Many ways to say good night.

Fireworks at a pier on the Fourth of July
spell it with red wheels and yellow spokes.
They fizz in the air, touch the water and quit.
Rockets make a trajectory of gold-and-blue
and then go out.

Railroad trains at night spell with a smokestack mushrooming a white pillar.

Steamboats turn a curve in the Mississippi crying a baritone that crosses lowland cotton fields to razorback hill.

It is easy to spell good night.
Many ways to spell good night.

~ Carl Sandburg
Another July 4th has come and gone. The annual fireworks show from Mt. Trashmore a rousing success, no rain. This year I used a tripod and tried to get closer. People parked a block from our house and walked the two miles to Trashmore. I found a space in the middle school lot and set up. The percussion and the deep "whomp" sound of the firework launching was still audible; families with lawn chairs and children in the back of pick-up trucks cheered. The colors were breathtaking Perhaps it was my setup site, perhaps the camera my brother gave me for Christmas, who knows; this year I got several really, really good shots. (Yes, I took this picture!!!!!) And so, the day complete, I say.... good night!

Submission for LensDay topic "crash, bang, boom". (end of post)

No comments: